Friday, September 16, 2011

Find Your Voice...


Find Your Voice

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”  - Used by Nelson Mandela in his 1994 inaugural speech.

This quote literally changed my life.  When I am feeling stifled, or like my feelings or voice doesn’t matter, I read it.  When I’m told that I should behave a certain way that contradicts my spirit or that I should feel something that is not authentic to me, I read it.  When I’ve been wronged and I feel that I’m not being heard, I read it.  When a story about me is being told without my permission, I read it.

When I’ve lost my voice (whether it be in relationships or with myself on my own personal path) I literally loose my voice.  My throat gets raspy and I can’t speak.  My neck feels constricted, much like my spirit.

Its funny how our bodies and souls are connected isn’t it?

I’ve learned (albeit slowly) to find my voice.  I don’t see myself as a person not worthy of my own thoughts and feelings anymore.  And I certainly believe that I deserve to be heard.  I have a story, and it’s up to me whether or not to share that story.  I have thoughts and feelings and my own side of the story that deserves to be heard. 

And so do you. 

Never let anyone make you feel small or unworthy.  Never give anyone permission to take away your own personal power.  You are the author of your life and you decide how that story is written and shared with the world. 

Give yourself permission to speak, shout, scream.  Give yourself permission to be you.  Authentic, wonderful, quirky, amazing - you. 

Let your let shine, your voice shout and your spirit soar!!!!

And always, Choose Love.

No comments: