Monday, July 25, 2011

It's the little things.


“Why not learn to enjoy the little things -- there are so many of them.”  -Helen Keller

So often we look to the big things to make us happy.  When really, there are a million little things to be grateful for, to fill our hearts with joy. 

There are so many little things that make me happy.  Some of them:

  1. Waking up to snuggles from my kiddos.
  2. Seeing a rainbow after the rain.
  3. Warm chocolate chips cookies.
  4. Singing out loud to my favorite song.
  5. Seeing hawks soar.
  6. A foot rub.
  7. When someone tells me I’m beautiful, and I can feel that they mean it.
  8. Lists.
  9. Using my husband as a human pillow.
  10. The smell of fall.
  11. Playing with my fur babies.
  12. Those times I can’t breathe because I’m laughing so hard.
  13. Christmas Eve.
  14. A shooting star.
  15. Surprising someone.
  16. Driving with my husband and kids, trying to get lost.
  17. Glitter.
  18. Watching my kids when they don’t know I’m there.
  19. When I’m hugging a person tight and they hug me back even tighter.
  20. Dancing in the rain.
  21. Maya Angelou poems.
  22. A phone call from a friend, just because.
  23. Belly laughs from my kids.
  24. My favorite song comes on the radio.
  25. Giving back.
  26. When I see love in my husbands eyes and you know it’s only for me.
  27. Green lights all the way home.
  28. Love Actually (movie.)
  29. When it’s sunny and raining out at the same time.
  30. Any Jennifer Weiner book.
  31. Getting a card or a note in the mail, just because.
  32. Seeing deer in a field.
  33. A smile from a stranger.
  34. Will & Grace.
  35. Blue Raspberry Slurpees.
  36. Birthdays.  Anyone’s birthdays.  I love celebrating life.
“Never tire of doing little things for others. Sometimes those little things occupy the biggest part of their hearts.” – Unknown

Don’t be afraid to do the little things for others.  Don’t worry about big and grandiose plans.  Think about what makes you truly happy.  If you look to your heart, you’ll find that most of those things don’t cost any money at all.  Most people will find that the things that give them the greatest joy, are free.  Now, pay it forward.  Here’s a list to help you get started:

  1. Smile at a stranger.
  2. Hold onto a hug just 2 seconds longer.
  3. Let someone merge into the traffic line up you are in.
  4. Host a sleepover for your friend and do things you know she would like (movies, wine, junk food, makeovers.)
  5. Make a phone call instead of sending a text.
  6. Visit a nursing home.  Bring your kids.
  7. Make a CD for a friend/partner of all his/her favorite songs.
  8. Write a letter instead of an email.
  9. Hold a "Friend Appreciation Day" and make your friend the guest of honor.
  10. Color with your kids.  Outside the lines.
  11. Grab your family, hop in the car and try to get lost.  Have an adventure.
  12. Hold the door open for the person behind you and let them walk through first.
  13. Donate clothes to a shelter.
  14. Donate blood.
  15. Donate your time to a food bank.
  16. Grab your kids and have a picnic in the backyard.
  17. Mow the grass for your neighbor.  Not just the elderly.
  18. Send an anonymous love letter to a friend.
  19. Give a compliment to your spouse, partner, child, friend, family member or stranger.
  20. Take a dog for a walk at the local animal shelter.
  21. Visit an elderly neighbor and bring them cookies.
  22. Bag your own groceries.
  23. Let your children help you bake a cake.  Let them frost it too.
  24. Leave little love letters around the house for your partner to find.
  25. Stay in bed all day, cuddle and watch movies with your partner and/or kids.
  26. Go for a walk with your family.  Play I spay.
  27. Make friendship bracelets and pass them out to your friends.
  28. Make a book of photos with captions and give it to your partner, children, family or friend.
  29. Call a friend, just because.
  30. Bake cupcakes and take them to your local police or fire station.
  31. Make your partner and/or kids breakfast in bed.
  32. Leave a kind note on someone's car.
  33. Grab your kids, jam the radio and dance and sing like crazy.
  34. Read out loud to your partner.
  35. Say I love you.  Show it.  Mean it.
  36. Clean up a park.  Make it a family affair.
Remember, it’s often the little things that make the biggest impact and create the best memories.

Choose Love

No comments: