Friday, October 14, 2011

Time spent with loved ones is the most precious gift of all.


What we remember from childhood we remember forever – family, good friends, talking till dawn, laughter, eternal imagination, sharing secrets, making up games and running until we can not breathe.  The candles, the cake, the presents are only second best to the memories we make with those we love.  - Cynthia Ozick

My twin boys are turning 10 years old on Monday.  When asked what they wanted for their birthday, they were very clear.  They wanted a party with their friends and a special dinner with their family.  No presents were even mentioned.  Like me, they prefer experiences, spending time with people over stuff.  Yeah, stuff is fun, nice.  But wow, the memories we create while celebrating life just can’t be beat.

Right now, it is VERY loud in my house.  My children have their cousins and their closest friends over for a slumber party.  So far they’ve had the typical birthday fare:  Chips, soda, brownies, chicken and cheese quesadillas, popcorn.  They’ve played a plethora of made up games: Chase, haunted house, dance party, crazy man, etc.  The laughter that permeates these walls also fills my heart.  My children are having the time of their life.  And really, what better birthday gift can you ask for your child then laughter?

Tomorrow they will have a party at a local laser tag/bouncy place with all their friends.  Jacob’s cake will be decorated in a Halloween theme, Noah’s with a big picture of – himself and the words HAPPY in all different colors.  Because he is, well, happy.  They both designed their own cakes.  Being twins, we try to give them the opportunity to decide separately on things that are often expected to be decided as one.  Red and blue are the colors they choose.  But most importantly, they will have their friends to run and play with.  They’ll make up games and run and bounce until they drop.  And they will go to sleep with a heart full of happiness.  Happy because their friends were there to celebrate with them.

Sunday I will make them their birthday dinner.  Both boys requested lasagna.  They want grammy and Uncle Mike and grandma and Pap over.  I’m praying that will happen.  We’ll have a nice family dinner and be grateful that we are all alive and healthy to celebrate 10 years old with these precious souls.

Monday, their actual birthday, my husband and I will take cupcakes up to their school.  They both want chocolate and thankfully it’s been approved by the teachers.  After school we’ll go out for dinner – their choice.

Yes, it’s a big birthday weekend.  They are turning double digits – that’s a big deal in our family.  They won’t get a bunch of gifts from us, but they will get lots of time, love and laughter.  And that is what they’ll carry with them through to their next birthday and beyond.

So tonight, as I sit here cracking up at the computer at all the silliness and laughter that surrounds me, I thank God.  I thank God for my rainbows, these precious souls that I am so blessed to call my sons.  Oh how hard we fought to conceive our sweethearts.  7 years of IF heartache, all erased the moment I held my beautiful sons.  I am so grateful that I get to walk through life with these amazingly compassionate, funny little guys.  Every time they reach for my hand, they touch my heart and it feels like MY birthday all over again.  I get to be a mommy!!!! 

They are wanting me to come and play hide and seek so I must go.  But before I do, my final thought is this –

Do not take for granted the time you give up spending with those you love.  Remember, things do not matter, people do.  MAKE the time to spend with people you love.  Time is the best present you can give another...

And as always, Choose Love.

No comments: