Sunday, August 7, 2011

Let me tell you about my Best Friend...


"Best friends are the siblings God forgot to give us." – Unknown

(I wrote this while sitting on the beach during vacation with my family, my best friend and her family.)

Let me tell you about my best friend…

She is beautiful.  I know it’s a word that is overused, beautiful.  But really, it fits her perfectly.  To look at her, you’d see a classy, tall, thin gorgeous woman with glowing skin and a sweet, welcoming smile.  She dresses like you’d expect Jackie O to dress (or any Kennedy wife for that matter.)  Her style is classic, her jewelry simple and her hair sleek and golden. 

But that is only scratching the surface of who she is.

The kindness she exudes so naturally from her heart shines out her eyes.  That’s the sparkle you see when you look at her.  She always thinks of others and makes the people around her feel special – thought of – like they matter.  She greets you and leaves you with a hug, a hug that is from her heart.  A hug that promises she will see you again and in the meantime, she will carry you with her.

Her love comes with no boundaries, no limitations, no conditions and no judgments.  When you are loved by my best friend, you are loved completely. 

When she says you are family, she means it.  You are invited to family dinners, celebrations, birthdays, holidays and most importantly - into her heart.  She shares her family with you with no reservations or boundaries.  You are welcomed with open arms and made to feel just like you have always been a part of the family.  

She accepts me, flaws and all.  She thinks I’m beautiful, and tells me so with truth in her eyes.  I feel beautiful when I’m around her.  When everyone else sees a hot, glittery mess, I know that she sees me.  I feel accepted and loved.  I don’t feel expectations or limitations from her and have never, not once felt judged by her.  She is completely loyal.  She knows my heart and believes and respects my words.  She stands up for me, won't let anyone hurt me and sees the best in me.  She helps me to see the best in myself.  She makes time for me, cries with me, cares about me and has never left my side.  Through over 20 hours of labor, she never left my side.  Through all the drama and craziness that is sometimes my life, she never left my side.  When all others (and I do mean ALL others) have walked away, stopped talking to me, played games, changed and left, etc., she has never walked away  She has seen me truly, at my worst.  She was and is always there with arms and heart wide open – loving and accepting me, as I am.  And I know that she forever will be.

She is amazing with my children, her godchildren.  She makes them feel special.  They know they are safe with her.  They know they are safe in a way that is protective of their feelings and their future.  They know she will always be there, protecting and loving them.  Her love for them is so apparent in her efforts to spend time with them, love them.  I see them cuddling with her and my heart soars.  She looks at them with such love in her eyes and it fills my soul to see my children so loved by her.  The loves she shares with her godchildren is simple, loyal and true.  She will never let them be hurt.  She will protect them with her life and she will always make sure they know they matter. 

She has my heart and my forever friendship.  A sisterhood that only the angels could bring together and no person can ever tear apart. 

She is special, she is forever, she is loyal and she is fun.
She is kind, she is silly, she is real and she is truth.

Her name is Leigh.  She’s my very best friend.  And today is her birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEIGH!

Thank you for always Choosing Love.

No comments: