Wednesday, December 28, 2011

An open heart. The good and the not so good.

Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never knew.

They say that an open heart is one that is easily broken.  Though I know that to be true, I also know that without an open heart, love can not enter.

Sometimes I think my heart is open a little too wide.  I accept love too quickly, forgive too easily and get hurt too often.

Many times, I look back and think, “Man, I thought we were closer than we obviously were.” 

How did that happen?  And why?

Maybe because I just simply choose love.  I suppose I innocently thought that when people say things, they meant them – and meant them forever.  The promises of forever friendship, being there, loving me, a bond…forever.

It's hard to be jaded.  I see it all around me.  But it isn’t something I can be – for long.

Oh I try to harden my heart.  Protect it from the next time I naively believe the closeness and the promises.  But then, naturally, my heart opens wide and out pours love.

What is the lesson?

I don’t really know.

Balance perhaps?  Don’t let people in quite so easily?  Don’t trust the promises of forever with every person that offers them?  Don’t take it personally when they walk away?

I don’t know.

I do know that I am blessed for these experiences.  Blessed because it makes me look deep within myself and know that I am giving and choosing love, constantly.  I am coming from a place of pure love.  Do you want a piece of my heart?  Sure, here it is - forever.  And my forevers truly are - forever. 

Because without love, what is there?  Really?

Nothing…

Choose Love.  Even if it’s scary.  Even if it means getting hurt. 

Choosing Love for yourself means believing that you are worth it – and man, that’s a hard one to swallow sometimes.  That self worth thing.

But you are – so – totally – worth – it!

Believe it. 
Open your heart.
Choose Love.

No comments: