Friday, March 18, 2016

The Invitation

The older we get, the choosier we are with whom we spend our time.  With whom we unveil our heart to.  With whom we invest in, emotionally.  And I am finally there.  At that place where I just want – no - need to be in that space.  I long for those deep, unwavering, unbreakable, raw relationships.  Those conversations that go on for hours and are so deep, you sit in silence just feeling what each other has said.  The people I want to know are flawed, beautifully so.  They are honest, open, and ready to invest emotionally. They are on their own unique path and full of magic. 

Investing in a relationship, just to have a relationship, is a lot of work and requires a lot of time.  That no longer interests me.

Now I choose to invest in people, in relationships, which give back.  That beautifully emotional ebb and flow that happens when two people are open and empathetic.  The energy moves back and forth, both souls learning from the other.  That is awesome stuff right there.

I am inspired to invite these souls into my life.

The Invitation

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for,
and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are.
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
for love, for your dreams,
for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon.
I want to know if you have touched
the center of your own sorrow,
if you have been opened by life's betrayals
or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain,
mine or your own, without moving to hide it
or fade it or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy,
mine or your own.
if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy
fill you to the tips of your fingers
and toes without cautioning us
to be careful, be realistic,
remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true.
I want to know if you can disappoint another
to be true to yourself.
If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
and not betray your own soul.
If you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty
even when it is not pretty every day,
and if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine,
and still stand at the edge of the lake
and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes.”

It doesn't interest me to know where you live,
or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair,
weary and bruised to the bone,
and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know
or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand
in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what
or with whom you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you from the inside
when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself,
and if you truly like the company
you keep in the empty moments. 

By Oriah Mountain Dreamer

The above inspired me to tear down the walls I had slowly built.  These are the people, the souls, I wish to have in my future.  To walk forward with in life.  I understand now that it takes actually being what you wish to have before you can receive it.  I am.  And I will.  With arms wide open.

As always,

Choose Love

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very inspiring! I felt what was written and I agree with it. Now hug me as I run to your open arms!!!��

Unknown said...

I have read your entry and the "about you" section; have saved your blog to my favorites. But how do I know when you have made a new entry? I am new to this "blogging thing" ��

Michele - you have always had this gift to express via words...so proud of you for using this gift.

Michele said...

Tammi - Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you could identify.

Lisa - Under the profile on the right side of the page is the option to "Join this site." It's a little blue button. When there is a new post, it automatically publishes to Twitter and Facebook as well.

To read previous posts, just continue scrolling down the page. At the bottom, if you wish to continue reading, you will see "older posts." Click on that and you will be taken to more previous posts/entries.

Thank you for your kind words as well. <3

Unknown said...

Thank you! I also get an email!